It’s almost Valentine’s Day and you know what that means – chocolate! Oh and love too. But mostly chocolate
I’m in love with my husband of course and this little guy who will be 9 months tomorrow!
I found this great recipe for Secret Recipe Club on Jennifer’s blog Jen’s Journey where she blogs about her faith, family and of course food! Immediately it peaked my interest since I have used applesauce, bananas and even beans as a butter/oil substitute in desserts, but I haven’t used avocado before!
Jennifer used a box mix, but I decided to try a homemade version of brownies and they were delicious!
- 1 cup pureed avocado
- 8 ounces dark chocolate, melted
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup all purpose flour
- ¼ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and a spray a 9-inch square pan with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk mashed avocado and melt chocolate. Whisk in sugar until combined, then add in eggs and vanilla extract, mixing well.
- Add in flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt, mixing with a large spoon – Do not over mix.
- Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until middle is set. Remove and let cool completely.
Nutrition Notes: Did you know avocado has more potassium than a banana? Avocados also provide nearly 20 essential nutrients, including fiber, Vitamin E, B-vitamins and folic acid. They have been shown to help lower cholesterol, regulate blood pressure, decrease the risk of heart disease and protect against breast cancer to name a few. Subbing the oil in this recipe for avocado not only decreases fat but it adds so many nutrients to these brownie!
Taste Test: You can’t even taste the avocado! It just adds wonderful moisture and of course increases the nutritive value of the brownies!
Enjoy and Happy Valentine’s Day!