Adapted from Prevention RD
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1 (15 oz) can no salt added diced tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
basil and oregano, to taste
1 cup quinoa, uncooked
2 cups water
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts, chopped into pieces
1 cup (4 oz) fresh mozzarella cheese, shredded and divided
1 oz parmigiano-reggiano or pecorino romano, shredded
2 Tablespoons breadcrumbs
1. Preheat the oven to 375. Spray a large baking dish with olive oil spray.
2. To make the sauce, heat a large skillet over medium heat, and add the oil. Stir in the onion and cook, stirring frequently, until tender, 5-7 minutes.
3. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 30-60 seconds. Add the balsamic vinegar, scraping anything off the bottom of the pan, and cook until it’s almost fully absorbed.
4. Add the tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, red pepper flakes, basil, oregano, and pepper to taste. Bring to a low boil, and then simmer while you prepare the rest of the meal.
5. Add the quinoa and water (and a dash of salt) to the tomato mixture and bring to a boil. Cover with a lid, reduce the heat, and simmer until cooked, about 20-25 minutes.
6. Add in the chicken with the sauce and mix thoroughly.
7. Place half the mixture in the baking dish, and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese. Top with the remaining quinoa mixture. Sprinkle with the remaining mozzarella cheese, and the parmigiano/pecorino. Add the breadcrumbs.
8. Bake until cheese is lightly browned and bubbly, about 35 minutes. Serves 6.
Taste Test: Delicious and easy! This doesn’t photograph too well but it was great! Quinoa adds more fiber and protein to this dish. Pair it with a salad for a great meal! Enjoy!