3 pound Kabocha squash
2 Tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 small onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
2 cups Arborio rice
1/2 cup dry white wine
3 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon fresh thyme
1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
2. Cut butternut squash in half and drizzle with about 1 Tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Roast in the oven for about an hour or until a knife can go through without resistance.
4. Heat a medium skillet over medium to medium-high heat with remaining olive oil. Add the onions and garlic and soften 2 to 3 minutes.
5. Add rice and toast 2 to 3 minutes.
6. Add wine and cook it out completely, stirring occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes. Ladle in stock in intervals, a couple of ladles at a time. Allow liquids to evaporate each time.
7. Risotto will cook 18 – 20 minutes from the first addition of liquid.
8. Add in squash (about 2 cups) and sage.
9. Cook for about 10 more minutes on low.
10. Add cheese and serve. Serves 6.
Nutrition Notes: Kabocha squash is a Japanese winter squash. This squash is loaded with beta carotene, iron, potassium and vitamin C!