The other night, the husband quietly placed this recipe in front of me and walked away. Apparently that means “make this” in guy language.
Surprisingly I had all the ingredients on hand so I figured I’d make it for dinner this week.
Linguine with Bacon, Spinach and Clams
Adapted from Mens Health Magazine
4 strips bacon, center cut, thinly sliced
1 red onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, sliced
pinch red pepper flakes
2 cans clams
1 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup parsley, chopped
2 big handfuls, fresh spinach
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 lemon, juiced
12 oz. whole wheat linguine, cooked
1. Saute bacon in a large pan until cooked. Remove from pan and discard any grease left in the pan.
2. Return the pan to medium heat and add the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes. Cook until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes.
3. Add the clams and wine and continue to cook until the wine has evaporated, about 10 minutes.
4. Add in the spinach and cook until wilted.
5. Add in the cooked bacon, cooked linguine, olive oil and parsley.
6. Serve with lemon juice on top and Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Nutrition Notes: Clams are packed with iron and actually provide more iron than beef. Clams are also a good source of phosphorus, potassium, zinc, copper, manganese and selenium. Using center cut bacon cuts the fat by around 30% but it also increases the price since you are getting more meat in the bacon instead of fat. I think it’s worth the extra cash! Adding spinach to any pasta dish not only adds flavor but tons of nutritional benefits!
Taste Test: The husband ate almost 3 serving of this so I believe he kind of liked it. Maybe….. Possibly. I thought it was delicious and light - definitely going on the “to make again” list!
Enjoy and have a wonderful weekend!