Do you have leftover cabbage from all those wonderful Irish recipes?
I had left over cabbage from my Corned Beef and Cabbage recipe and I remembered a delicious recipe that I made was I was in college that used cabbage.
Cabbage Roll Casserole
Adapted from All Recipes
1 pound ground sirloin or lean ground turkey
1 medium onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, mined
1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
1 1/2 pounds chopped cabbage
1 cup uncooked brown rice
2 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon basil
dash cayenne pepper
1 (15 ounce) can beef broth, low-sodium
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a large skillet, brown beef in oil over medium high heat until redness is gone. Drain off fat.
3. Add in onion and garlic to skillet and cook until onions and translucent.
4. In a large mixing bowl combine the onion/garlic mixture, tomato sauce, cabbage, rice and seasonings: oregano, basil, cayenne pepper.
5. Add meat and mix all together. Pour mixture into a 9×13 inch baking dish.
Nutrition Notes: Although the sodium content of this dish is pretty high, you can cut back by using low-sodium broth and tomato sauce. But you get a lot of food for your calorie buck in this dish!
Taste Test: Although this dish cooks for a long time in the oven, the prep is simple and the result is delicious! If you do the prep ahead of time, this could make for a great weeknight meal. Plus “cabbage roll casserole” is fun to say. Just go with it.
Happy 24th Birthday to my brother Thomas Patrick! He’s the one on the left – looking like Justin Timerlake.