Another month of Secret Recipe Club and again I asked my wonderful husband to pick a recipe from Rebekah’s site Family, Food and Fun! She is a Mom to 5 children under the age of 9! I want to know how she has time to make wonderful dishes such: Muffins that Taste Like Doughnuts, or these adorable Melting Snowman Cookies AND time to blog about it! I have one little guy and it’s hard for me to find time to blog! She’s amazing!
Leave it up to my husband to find the mint recipe. You see, I am strange – I don’t like mint. GASP!
Peppermint patties? No way.
Shamrock Shake? Yuck!
Frango Mints? Pass!
But this is fine with me because I will stay far away from these and my thighs will thank me! But for all you mint and chocolate lovers out there – these are for you!!
10 Tablespoons butter, divided
3 squares (1 ounce each) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
3 eggs, divided
1 1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 (8 oz package) cream cheese, 1/3 fat, softened
1 Tablespoon cornstarch
1 can (14 oz) sweetened condensed milk
1 teaspoon peppermint extract
4 drops green food coloring (optional)
1 cup (6 oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup whipping cream
1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a microwave safe bowl, melt 8 Tablespoons butter and unsweetened chocolate; cool slightly.
2. In a mixing bowl, beat 2 eggs, sugar and vanilla. Add the chocolate mixture; mix until blended. Gradually beat in the flour.
3. Spread in a greased 13 x 9″ baking pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until top is set.
4. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining 2 Tablespoons butter. Add cornstarch; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in condensed milk and remaining egg. Add extract and food coloring if desired.
5. Pour over crust. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until center is almost set. Cool on a wire rack.
6. In a heavy saucepan (or in microwave-safe bowl), combine chocolate chips and cream. Heat and stir until melted.
7. Cool for 30 minutes or until lukewarm, stirring occasionally. Pour over cream cheese layer. I threw on top a few chocolate chips that I had left.
Chill for 2 hours or until set before cutting. Makes 48 squares.
Taste Test: Wholesome Husband said “they are fudgy, minty and chocolatey and great!” You can even try these with orange or strawberry extract if you’re not a mint fan like me! Or you can leave out the mint for a plain cheesecake taste!