Let’s take a trip back to Autumn.
Cool crisp air, changing leaves, pumpkin patches, bonfires, Halloween…my favorite time of the year.
Pumpkin in February? Oh yes, I did it.
Something must help us get through this dreadful winter. A taste of autumn is the perfect cure to winter blues.
Adapted from A Foodie Stays Fit
3 cups sugar
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
4 large eggs (or 8 egg whites)
2/3 cup water
1 (15 oz) can pumpkin
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1 teaspoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground cloves
2 1/2 cups spelt flour or whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Grease two 9×5 inch loaf pans.
3. In a large mixing bowl, combine sugar, oil, applesauce and eggs; beat until smooth.
4. Add water and beat until well blended. Mix in pumpkin until combined.
5. In medium bowl, combine ginger, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, flours, soda, salt and baking powder. Add dry ingredients to pumpkin mixture and blend just until all ingredients are mixed. Divide batter between greased pans.
6. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 60-75 minutes.
7. Cool completely on a wire rack and store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Notes: Replacing half the oil with unsweetened applesauce in this recipe cuts down on the fat and calories. Pumpkins belong to the squash family and offer numerous health benefits. Remember how butternut squash is loaded with beta-cartone just like carrots? Well, that bright orange color indicates that pumpkin contains beta-cartone as well. Pumpkin is low in fat and calories and loaded with vitamins A, C and E. Pumpkin is also an excellent source of fiber providing 5 grams in 1/2 cup. Fiber helps reduce LDL cholesterol levels, protect the body against heart disease, helps to control blood sugar level and promote healthy digestion.
Taste Test: I loved this sweet bread. It makes a HUGE amount so cut it in half if you only want one loaf. It was moist and delicious with a great spice flavor! It’s perfect for breakfast or after dinner. Enjoy!