The husband and I are pretty much obsessed with Pumpkin Spice Latte’s. So I thought why not try to make them at home.
Here’s what you need:
A good espresso:
I’m a big fan of Lavazza but you can use whatever espresso you want. Just make sure you don’t use regular coffee – it won’t be strong enough for the latte. Other good brands are illy, Intelligentsia or Cafe Bustelo.
You can buy one of those fancy $500 machines
Or, what’s even better if getting a stovetop espresso maker and it makes the same espresso for way cheaper.
In this espresso maker, you put the water in the bottom part and the espresso grounds go in the filter in the middle. As the water boils it comes through the top part and sits in the top compartment.
This will make that lovely foam that is on the top of the lattes at your coffee shop. If you have one of the expensive espresso machines, it usually comes with a milk frother attached to it. But you can by one by its self.
Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
1/2 cup sugar
2 Tablespoons canned pumpkin
1/2 cup water
2 teaspoons pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/2 Tablespoons espresso
1 cup water
1 cup skim milk
1. Combine all pumpkin syrup ingredients in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Stir regularly to keep the syrup from burning as it reduces.
2. The pumpkin will combine into the sugar and water. When it takes on the consistency and thickness of maple syrup, remove from heat and pour into heat-proof containers.
3. Don’t let it get too thick, or it will won’t blend into your drinks well. Refrigerate until needed. Keeps for 2-3 weeks.
4. Make your espresso according to the directions on your espresso maker. You’re going to need around 2 ounces of espresso for each drink (more or less depending on your desired . Heat up your milk in the microwave for 2 minutes.
5. Use your milk frother to make as much foam as you desire.
Add in the espresso and 2 Tablespoon of the pumpkin syrup(more or less depending on your tastes). Stir and enjoy! Serves 1.
Taste Test: You’ll never want to go buy another pumpkin spice latte after trying this one! It’s delicious!