You’ll notice some new additions to my blog page! Foodbuzz, Foodie Blogroll and Cook, Eat Share are among the new items! They are great recipe sharing and food loving sites so be sure to check them out! Welcome to all my new viewers!
Wednesdays are my late nights at work. I drop the pup Keenan off at daycare for the day and he
is extremely spoiled looks forward to spending the day with his puppy friends. On these nights, I am always looking for delicious crockpot recipes so that when I get home dinner is ready to go!
Crock Pot Tamale Pie
Adapted from PreventionRD
3/4 cup cornmeal
1 1/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 cup skim milk
1/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 can corn, drained
1 Tablespoon chili powder
1 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup 2% sharp shredded cheddar cheese
1. Spray your crock pot with cooking spray and add all of the filling ingredients: beans, tomatoes, corn, spices, onion and cheese.
2. Stir all ingredients well.
3. In a separate bowl, mix together the cornbread topping ingredients until well incorporated.
4. When finished, pour evenly over the filling, spreading with a spatula if needed.
5. Cover and cook on low for 4-7 hours or on high for 2-4. I cooked on high and it took about 2.5 hours. Serves 4.
Nutrition Notes: Corn, beans, tomatoes with spices and cornbread topping – I’d say that’s pretty healthy!! Looking at the nutrition stats above, it is low in fat and the fiber is really excellent thanks to those beans at almost 7 grams!
Taste Test: I think I may have cooked this a bit too long because the cornbread started to burn around the outside. But we just ate around the burnt pieces. It was pretty good – kind of like chili with cornbread! But it was super easy and I love that!
What’s your favorite recipe in the crockpot?